Sunday, August 10, 2014

Watts up?


 

I think my mom was the first person to tell me about Watts Towers. Many a hippie in her day had sojourned to the depths of South Central to see this magnificent work of art.  Ever since I found out about the towers, I knew that one day I would visit.  The visit I had this weekend was definitely long overdue, but I'm happy to say that I can finally scratch this little Los Angeles adventure off of the list!

I think the most amazing thing about this piece is that it was created by one person, Simon Rodia, who worked tirelessly for over thirty years to create his masterpiece.  Then, when it was done, he simply gave the ownership of the property to his neighbor and walked away,  leaving behind a legacy that in its own way, paid homage to the legacies of his heroes- Da Vinci, Marco Polo and Christopher Columbus.

Its really like nothing you have ever seen! Everyone in Los Angeles should give it a visit. Even if you are not from L.A., it is definitely worth your while to make a little detour over to Watts Towers.  Tours are $7 which includes access to a small art exhibit in their visitor center and a short documentary. To find out when you can go view the property, click here.













It was a hot day in Watts and we didn't eat any breakfast, so we decided to try Hawkins House of Burgers.  It was pretty damn tasty.  Brian really liked his fat egg cheese burger, and my fish sandwich was perfectly cooked.  The onion rings are awesome, too!


We decided that we were on a roll and so on the way home we stopped by another Los Angeles landmark, Randy's Donuts in Inglewood, Ca.  I love the 50s vibe, and don't be fooled by the kitschiness, these donuts are REALLY good. We got two jelly filled for two bucks!  Can't beat that. :)







Sunglasses + Vintage
80s shirt + Thrifted
Jean Skirt + Thrifted
Shoes + Vans






zoooooooommmmm ouuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttt  :)


View Danielle's Adventures in a larger map






No comments:

Post a Comment